Bus 400 alpha
July 3rd, 2022
Read the case and answer these questions, 1-2 pages no more
- In general, what do you think is more important, strategy of the company or its structure?
- Is there a relationship between strategy and structure?
- In your opinion, what comes first, strategy or structure?
- Do you think an Alphabet is a good example of a conglomerate?
- Compare Alphabet to at least three similar companies.
- What makes Alphabet different from other conglomerates?
- What is “core” Google?
- What fuels Google search business?
- Why has its incredible performance been so sustainable?
- Why did Google diversify by acquiring YouTube – an online video side – or Android – a mobile operating system – when they had no valuable expertise in these areas?
- Shouldn’t they have been worried about the fact that Google did not have any expertise in video platforms or mobile operating systems before these investments?
- What can Google provide to these assets?
- Why does Alphabet own widely different subsidiaries under the same corporate structure?
- What are the benefits of this choice?
- And the costs?
- Are there limits for diversification of Alphabet?
- What is the logic behind Alphabet’s investment in Nest?
- What is the rationale behind the decentralized structure chosen by Alphabet?
- What are the benefits of this conglomerate structure?
- Its drawbacks?
- Under what conditions is this structure an appropriate organizational design for a diversified company?
- Is Alphabet’s corporate governance (and in particular the presence of dual class shares) appropriate for the organization?
- What are the benefits?
- And the costs?