Posted: August 22nd, 2022
Data breaches, be it credit card or medical information, have become commonplace. With so much personal information now available electronically, the protection of private information has become an important issue for health administrators.
Don't use plagiarized sources. Get Your Custom Essay on
Just from $13/Page
You are a hospital administrator, charged with overseeing your hospital’s HIPAA compliance. Due to increased rates of data breaches around the country and a recent decision made by the Connecticut Supreme Court, Bryne v. Avery Center, your supervisor has asked you to prepare a presentation for the hospital board of directors and other stakeholders that will serve as a conversation starter regarding this issue.
Emily Bryne v. Avery Center for Obstetrics and Gynecology, P.C. (SC 19873) Retrieved from
You have been asked to address the following items in a PowerPoint presentation:
- What is the intent and purpose of HIPAA?
- Explain the concept of Protected Health Information (PHI).
- What impact can the breach of PHI have on patients/consumers?
- Explain HIPAA’s allowance for the release of some PHI without consent.
- In Byrne v. Avery Center for Obstetrics & Gynecology, P.C., the Connecticut State Supreme Court found that health care organizations could be found liable for the unauthorized release of private health information. While this was a decision in Connecticut, why is this decision relevant for your health organization?
SLP Assignment Expectations
- Conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to justify/support your presentation.
- Limit your response to a maximum of 10 slides (title and reference slides are not included in this total).
- Support your presentation with peer-reviewed articles and in-text citations, with at least 3-4 references. Use the following link for additional information on how to recognize peer-reviewed journals:
- You may use the following source to assist in formatting your assignment:
- For additional information on reliability of sources, review the following source:
- This assignment will be graded based on the content in the rubric.