The purpose of this assignment is to critically appraise a gap between research findings and the implementation of those findings into practice.
In 2009, upon noticing a dearth of evidence-based decisions in health care settings, the Institute of Medicine set a goal to substantially increase the number of clinical decisions supported by timely and relevant evidence over the following decade. Bridging the gap between research findings and practice implementation was a key strategy the IOM utilized to make this goal more achievable. Relying on the best evidence allows health care practitioners to deliver quality and appropriate patient care while helping to improve the nation’s health.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- Review the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) website to complete the assignment.
- Use at least two additional scholarly research sources published within the last 5 years. Provide citations and references for all sources used.
- Doctoral learners are required to use APA style for their writing assignments. The APA Style Guide is located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
On the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) website, select a topic either related to your DPI Project or aligned with the type of project you are exploring. Select a specific topic where there exists a gap between research findings and the implementation of those findings into practice. In a 1,000-1,250-word paper, address the following:
- Introduce the topic, present supporting research findings, and discuss the desired outcomes of putting that research into practice.
- Assess to what extent the practice is being implemented.
- Evaluate possible barriers to implementation into practice.
- Propose ways to overcome the barriers.
- Discuss the resources available on the selected site to inform the transition from research into practice.